Skip to the content


There may only be 3 games played in the new Midlands League but it is bubbling up nicely with just two sides retaining 100% records and just one having won all of their three games in Carnoustie Panmure.

The Gowfers, however, had it far from easy as they beat Dundee Violet 3-1 at Laing Park. Phil McGuire shuffled his pack with four changes to the starting XI but his side came out quickly and took the lead on 11 minutes when Steven McPhee received the ball from Paul McLellan and slotted it past Fraser Burnett. McLellan himself then made it two on 19 minutes, Kieran Conway surged forward before hitting a wonderful ball to McLellan who made no mistake to double the advantage. Sam Simpson missed a penalty on 46 minutes and this energised Violet and the visitors pulled a goal back on 58 minutes when Greg Breen scored from the spot. Carnoustie huffed and puffed but couldn’t put the game to bed until the last minute when Dale Reid stabbed the ball home from close in.

The other side with a 100% record are title favourites Lochee United who demolished Brechin Vics  9-0 at Victoria Park. Logan Davie put Chee in front with barely a minute on the clock and the advantage was doubled on 12 minutes when a Davie crossed was turned in by a Brechin defender. Danny Cavanagh made it three on 17 minutes, Kevin Buchan the fourth on 31 and Ewan Murray added a fifth with five minutes remaining before half time. After the break, Cavanagh scored his second (51) before a double from Kevin Milne (54 & 85) sandwiched a Calvin Colquhoun goal (76).

Tayport were held at home by Dundee East Craigie and finished the game with ten men as Jamie Gill was shown a red card just after the hour mark. Tayport were the better side after the break following a poor first half but passed up the chance to take the lead when Dayle Robertson missed a 52nd minute penalty, the miss was then compounded when Gill saw red for a nasty challenge on Andrew McDonald.

Blairgowrie manager Mark Brash must wonder when his sides luck will change, they were the better side for large periods in midweek against Broughty Athletic but lost 1-0 and again on Saturday they dominated the majority of the game against Forfar West End but again went down 1-0. West End remain unbeaten with two wins and a draw after Rikki Gillespie scored from the penalty spot on 65 minutes.

Dundee North End made it two wins on the bounce after their opening day defeat at Tayport as they won 2-0 at home to Downfield. Gary Sutherland put North End in front after 43 minutes and Frankie Devine added a second, on 53 minutes.

Lyall Murdoch was hero and villain for Dundee St James as they drew 1-1 at home to Arbroath Vics, a result that gives the visitors their first point of the season. Murdoch put St James in front after 14 minutes but after Ross Fraser had equalised for Vics, Murdoch was sent off on 34 minutes after receiving a yellow card for a challenge and then a second yellow for his protests.

Scone Thistle had suffered a difficult start to the season but put their troubles behind them with a 3-2 win over Forfar United at Guthrie Park with player manager Willie Laing scoring what proved to be the winner. Sean Hastie had put Scone in front before Morgan Evans equalised for United, Hastie added a second before Laing scored a third for the visitors. Kieran Crighton had the ball in the net for United but was harshly flagged for off side and although Scott Fullerton pulled a goal rom the spot the home side couldn’t get an equaliser.

Letham remain unbeaten after three games as a Midlands League after their second home draw in four days as they drew 1-1 with Kirrie Thistle in an entertaining game at Seven Acres. Both goals came in the first half, Ryan Kerrigan put Thistle in front after ten minutes with Stephen Mann equalising for Letham just before the break.

Lochee Harp showed that they are definitely a much improved outfit this season after a late equaliser saw them draw 1-1 with Broughty Athletic at the Lochee Community Sports Hub. Broughty took the lead on 44 minutes through Dundee FC loanee Cameron Blacklock but Owen Neave scored a deserved equaliser when he completed a good move on 90 minutes. Harp could have won the  game in stoppage time but a free header at the back post went wide.