Skip to the content

Whitletts Vics : Match Report

Isaac Kerr


Vics ended a six match run in the league without a win to climb out of the relegation zone with a hard fought win at Somervell Park.

Played on a heavy pitch, the Vics players played with passion and desire to grind out a deserved victory and give manager George Grierson the perfect start to his return to the Vics hotseat.

Both sides struggled to find any fluency early on but in the 12th minute Camby keeper Ross Meldrum made a superb save up at his top right angle to keep out a Stewart Davidson strike. But from the resulting corner he was left helpless as Issac Kerr rose to power Thomas Donovan’s cross into the net.

Goalmouth incidents were few and far between in that first period with the hosts going closest Scott McKean fired into the side netting but in the 42nd minute Cambuslang were level. Hal Bohme broke into the box and as he went down looking to entice the referee to award a penalty the ball ran kindly for Scott Hadden who low shot from the edge of the box deflected off Davidson and flew high past Cole Millen into the top corner of the net.

It was a cruel way to concede but the scoreline at the interval was a fair reflection on the play.

However three minutes into the second half Whitletts restored their lead.  Hesitancy between Matthew Gray and his keeper in dealing with a long ball allowed Michael Reilly to nip in and lift the ball over Meldrum into the net.

Back came Rangers and in the 54th minute they were level once again. Full back Callum McLean fired a low cross into the box which the home forwards failed to connect with but their actions was enough to catch out Millen and the ball nestled into the corner of the net. 

It was looking similar to Vics’ run of late but the spirit the team showed was superb and within four minutes a superb finish by Sean Ewart was ruled out for Reilly being in an offside position. Not to be denied, on the hour Whitletts were back in front. Donovan running onto a Davidson pass and in a similar fashion to Reilly’s goal, lifted the ball over the advancing keeper and followed the ball into the net just to make sure.

Whitletts were having the better of the play at this point but Cambuslang didn’t give up and Vics had Millen to thank for a point blank save at the feet of Ciaron Smith.

Vics were looking for the goal that would seal the points and with 12 minutes remaining Reilly set up Paul Millar but his shot with his weaker foot was pushed over the bar by Meldrum. And from the resulting corner Vics were denied again when Callum Walsh’s header was cleared off the line by Hadden.

Camby fought to the end and McLean went close again with a 20 yard drive that flew just past the angle but Vics held out to record a much needed victory.

Going into the game the result was more important that the performance but in the end not only did Whitletts get the win they badly needed, they got it with a spirited performance that should give everyone a lift ahead of next weekends’ West of Scotland Cup tie at Premiership Benburb.

Cambuslang Rangers
1. Meldrum 2. Crawford 3. McLean 4. Gray 5. Dunnachie 6. Rouse 7. Bohme 8. Hepburn 9. Hadden (Maguire 85) 10. S.McKean 11. Ryan (Smith 67)
Subs 12. Cullen 14. D.McKean 17. Jarvie

Whitletts Victoria
1. Millen 3. Millar (Thompson 90) 4. I.Kerr 5. Walsh 8. Boyd (Cunningham 68) 9. Reilly 10. Donovan 12. Ogston (Barbour 81) 15. Ewart 16. Davidson 19. M.Brown
Subs (not used) 13. McColgan 18. A.Brown

Referee: Chris Hughes