Skip to the content

Match Report : Whitletts Vics


Whitletts suffered a second half collapse as they crashed to a heavy defeat at the hands of league leaders Cumbernauld at Guys Meadow. 

The match very nearly didn’t go ahead due to the heavy pitch conditions which affected the match as a spectacle but that can be no excuse for Vics as the conditions were the same for both sides. Indeed for a large proportion of the game the Ayr side were more than a match for their opponents but yet again the loss of late goals cost them dear.

Both sides took time to adapt to the heavy conditions with the first real opportunity not arriving until the 25th minute when Paddy McCabe’s ;ow cross found no takers in the box but as Sean Ewart failed to fully clear the danger Klark Thomson’s netbound shot was headed behind by Morgan Brown.

Vics had claims for a penalty in the 27th minute as Thomas Donovan got in behind the defence and appeared to be pulled back by the defender as he took the shot which as a result fell tamely for Darren Hill in the Cumbernauld goal.

Cumbernauld’s response was Jack Harrison leaving Raymond Buchanan and Issac Kerr for dead in the box but keeper Scott Johnston came to his sides rescue to save the defenders effort and minutes later the full back was in again but this time a poor first touch allow the Vics keeper to save.

Four minutes into the second half Vics went close to opening the scoring. A Louis Kerr free kick from 30 yards denied the laws of physics as it beat Hill only to crash off the inside of the post and flash across the face of goal and behind the far post for a goal kick! 

Chances were few and far between but in the 57th minute the home side made the breakthrough. Striker Chris Hall broke down the right and from his cross Vics player coach Raymond Buchanan miscued his attempted clearance and the ball flew past Johnston who had no chance.

Within four minutes Whitletts thought they had an equaliser when Louis Kerr fired home after Hill had parried a Michael Reilly shot but the midfielder was ruled to be offside.

Midway through the half the league leaders doubled their advantage. Again Hall was at the centre of the action as from his bye-line cross Paul Callander volleyed home at the back post.

Unfortunately some of the Vics heads went down and their afternoon was compounded as the hosts struck twice in the closing stages.

With three minutes remaining Cumbernauld scored a third when substitute Jonathan McStay tapped home from close range after Scott Thomson was allowed to waltz through the Vics defence and then right on the 90 McStay scored his second after and attempted kicked clearance by Johnston bounced off the Cumbernauld striker into the net. 

Now Vics’ need to regroup for the visit of promotion chasing Darvel to Dam Park on Saturday with every game now taking on added significance if Whitletts are to avoid the drop.

Cumbernauld United
1. Hill 2. Harrison 3. P.McCabe (McKay 80) 4. A.Stevenson 5. R.McCabe 6. C.Steveston 7. K.Thomson 8. Callander 9. Hall (McStay 83) 10. Burbridge (S.Thomson 65) 1. McAleenan
Subs (not used) 16. Benton GK. Murphy

Whitletts Victoria
1. Johnston 2. Findlay 3. Millar (A.Kerr 68) 4. I.Kerr 6. Buchanan (Walsh 75) 7. L.Kerr 8. Boyd 9. Reilly 10. Donovan 15. Ewart 19. Brown
Subs (not used) 12. Ogston 13. Millen 17. Anderson

Referee: Andrew Bryden