Skip to the content

Whitletts Vics : Match Report


An Adam Forsyth hat trick helped Whitletts bounce back from the disappointment of their Scottish Cup exit last weekend to move up into 4th place in the West Region Championship as they came from behind to defeat Glasgow side St.Roch’s at Dam Park.

Despite the torrential rain, Dam Park was in immaculate condition to host this match and the supporters who turned out to watch the clash were treated to a cracker of a match in which both sides deserve credit for their play and desire to win the match.

The Candy came out the traps quickly and took the lead in 10th minute when a sweeping move down the left ended up with Ryan McManus sliding in at the back post to score from close range.

Vics had more of the territorial advantage in the opening period but St.Roch’s were extremely dangerous on the counter attack and in the 18th minute McManus was given a real opportunity to double his sides advantage when he was released by Eddie Ferns but this time as Martin Fraser advanced from his goal the striker sclaffed his attempted chip wide of the target.

Isaac Kerr went close with a volley from a Louis Kerr free kick that flew just past as the Vics goal threat grew and in the 26th minute they were back on level terms. Isaac Kerr headed a corner kick down for Sean Ewart whose drive was parried on the line by the keeper but Forsyth was on hand to drill the ball home from close range.

The Ayr side had to survive another scare on the half hour when Fearns was released clear in on goal but with just Fraser to beat, the midfielder smashed the ball into the side netting.

And they were made to pay for those missed chances four minutes before the interval when Vics took the lead. From Ewart’s free kick, Isaac Kerr knocked the ball down into the danger zone where Forsyth ran unchallenged to hammer the ball past James Scott from six yards.

They almost made it three before the break when Thomas Donovan failed to connect with debutant Morgan Brown’s low cross at the front post and the ball was scrambled behind with Forsyth waiting to capitalise.

The second half followed a similar vain with Vics having most of the play but St.Roch’s carrying a real threat on the counter attack. Bobby Colligan tried his luck from distance for Vics but his shot went just over, while a Forsyth flicked set Donovan clear but the keeper did well to deny the Vics striker. But in the 64th minute The Candy were given the perfect opportunity to equalise. Robert Maguire outpaced Morgan Brown and the Vics striker clipped his heels inside the box sending Maguire sprawling and giving referee David Burns no option but to point to the penalty spot. Keiran Daw took the responsibility from 12 yards but Fraser guessed right, diving low to his left to make a superb save at the post.

That penalty save was a game changer. Colligan again went close for Vics with an angled drive that flew just past but in the 74th minute Whitletts made it 3-1. Forsyth shrugged off the challenge of Ross Dickson as he broke into the area but as he tried to set up Donovan, Stephen Bryson intercepted only for his attempted block to come back off the post and Forsyth took the opportunity to complete his hat trick with his 23rd goal of the season.

St.Roch’s battled to try and get back into the game and they had a great chance from a fine move down the right but McManus couldn’t connect and efforts from Daw and Ferns were both block as Vics scrambled the ball clear.

As the game entered the final throes it was Whitletts who almost added to their advantage when Scott clawed a Ewart cross out from under his bar, Colligan scooped it back across the face of goal but Scott recovered to prevent Jordan Boyd scoring from close range before Louis Kerr fired narrowly over from 25 yards out.

Another entertaining match at Dam Park with two teams standing toe to toe in an enthralling match and an outcome that will set Vics up for the challenge that awaits next Saturday when they travel to face second placed Benburb at New Tinto Park.

Whitletts Victoria
1 Fraser 2 Ogston 3 Brown 4 Millar 5 I.Kerr 6. Buchanan 7. L.Kerr 8. Colligan 9. Forsyth 10. Donovan (Boyd 78) 11. Ewart (A.Kerr 90)
Subs (not used) 14. McIntyre 16. George 21. Dorigo

1. Scott 3. McGuigan 5. Bryson 8. Daw 9. McDonald 14. R.Maguire 16. Brown 19. McManus 29 Dickson 77. Ferns 92. Viola
Subs 6. Lafferty 10. Martin 15. M.Maguire 18. Glackin 20. Dobbs

Referee: David Burns