Skip to the content

Whitletts Vics : Match Report


Two late goals gave the Lanark United their place in Tuesday’s draw for the third round of the Macron Scottish Junior Cup as lacklustre Vics limped out of the competition in this second round replay at Moor Park.

Take nothing away from the League Two side who fully merited their victory. Their passion and desire to win the tie was obvious rights from the kick off and although it was a match of few clear cut chances, no one could deny Lanark their victory but for Whitletts manager George Grierson he will want to know why so many of his side simply failed to turn up for this match.

The warning signals were there for all to see early on when Martin Fraser tipped over a 25 yard shot from Cammy Lawson in the third minute. The home side had most of the play but rarely troubled the Vics defence in the first period with the only time the Vics No1 was called into action being right on the half time whistle when he dived at full stretch to keep out a curling effort from Ian Watt.

Most of the play in that first period took place in the Vics half but the visitors did almost take the lead in the 15th minute when from a Callum Ogston cross was met by Sean Ewart who drive shot across goal was cleared off the line by Lawson.

Whitletts started the second half by going on the offensive and Adam Forsyth had a great chance to open their account when through on a one on one with Gareth Hallford but the Lanark keeper blocked his effort and recovered to also block Thomas Donovan’s follow up effort.

Midway through the second half Hallford again denied Vics with a superb save to push away Jordan Boyd’s drive from 30 yards but as far as attacking play that was as good as it got for the visitors.

As the game wore on Lanark began to pose an attacking threat with Isaac Kerr clearing a Hugh Kerr effort off the line, while Fraser did well to save a free kick from the edge of the box from the same player.

The breakthrough finally came with 12 minutes remaining. From a cross from the left, the ball fell kindly to Stuart Annetts and the midfielders shot from just inside the box beat Fraser at the post.

Whitletts immediately went in search of the equaliser but in the 82nd minute they were hit with a classic sucker punch as Lanark broke upfield and the impressive Watt kept his cool to fire low past Fraser and Vics Cup hopes were over for another season.

Not a good afternoon for Whitletts travelling fans, nor management who will all be looking for a positive reaction next Saturday when Glasgow side St.Roch’s are the visitors to Dam Park in the League.

Lanark United
1. Hallford 2. Gracie (Lafferty 60) 3. Stark 4. Haddow 5. Lawson 6. O’Donnell 7. McHugh 8. Annetts 9. Watt 10. Kerr 11. Martin (Hill 73)
Subs (not used) 15. Anderson 16. Strang 17. Callan

Whitletts Victoria
1. Fraser 2. Ogston 3. Ewart 4. Millar 5. I.Kerr (Condon 85) 6. Buchanan 7. L.Kerr (George 85) 8. Boyd 9. Forsyth 10. Colligan 11. Donovan
Subs (not used) 14. A. Kerr 15. McIntyre

Referee: David Milton