Skip to the content

Whitletts Vics : Match Report


Adam Forsyth scored four goals as Vics twice came from two goals down to take all three points in a thrilling league encounter at Brig O’Lea Stadium.

In difficult conditions, Vics played with a strong wind behind them but it was Neilston who seemed to master the conditions early on and in the sixth minute they took the lead. From a corner kick into the wind caused confusion in the Vics defence and striker Craig Patterson pounced to fire the home side in front despite the best efforts of Marty Fraser in the Vics goal.

Vics responded with a lot of the play in and around the Neilston box. Sean Ewart had a great chance to equalise after Forsyth was challenged inside the box but fired well wide of the target but it was The Farmer Boys who were to double their advantage in the 13th minute.

A Paul Stewart cross picked out Patterson unmarked in the box but this time with the goal at his mercy the big striker mishit his shot but the ball broke to Dylan Fletcher, who despite looking well offside, made it 2-0 to Neilston.

A controversial moment but despite their protestations the goal stood and their reaction was swift. Within sixty seconds they reduced the leeway when from a superb cross from Bobby Colligan, Forsyth was on hand to head past Robert Tiropoulous.

Just past the midway point of the first half, Vics were back on level terms. After Forsyth’s shot was blocked, the ball broke for Ewart who this time drilled the ball high past the keeper for the equaliser.

Both sides were looking threatening going forward but Vics were having the better of the territorial advantage but that didn’t prevent Neilston from regaining the lead on the half hour. Again a hint of controversy about the decision to give the home side a free kick after it appeared that it was Isaac Kerr who had been the victim of an arm across the face but Vics failed to properly defend the resulting free kick that was whipped into the area and Patterson again was on hand to score from close range.

Six minutes later the big Neilston striker claimed his hat trick. Receiving a through ball from a free kick, Patterson turned his marker Paul Millar before firing low past Fraser to give the Renfrewshire side a two goal advantage for the second time in the match.

However once again back came Whitletts. Colligan was causing havoc to the Neilston defence down the right and when his cross picked out Forsyth it took a fine save from Tiropoulous, diving at the strikers feet to push the ball behind for a corner.

Vics continued to press forward and in the 40th minute when Paul Young clearly held the jersey of Isaac Kerr in the penalty box, referee Chris McTeirnan had no option but to point to the penalty spot. Up stepped Forsyth to take the responsibility and he drilled the ball home from 12 yards.

Then right on half time Vics were awarded a second spot kick! After failing to clear a deep cross, the defenders momentum saw him fall on top of Ross George on the byeline. Referee McTeirnan again adjudged it to be a penalty kick and although Forsyth’s original penalty was saved by Tiropoulous, the Vics striker was alert enough to fire home the rebound for the second hat trick of the game.

4-4 at half time and there was no doubt that the supporters who brave the conditions were getting value for their £6 entry fee.

Playing into the wind in the second period, it was Vics who were first to threaten when Thomas Donovan headed an Isaac Kerr cross wide at the back post but on the hour mark, Whitletts took the lead for the first time in the match.

Donovan was released clear down the right and from his low cross, Forsyth’s initial effort came back off the post but he reacted quickest to score to put Whitletts 5-4 ahead.

Neilston tried to get back into the game and had a fair share of possession with the wind advantage but Whitletts were carrying the greater threat and could and probably should have added to their tally. They should have had another penalty in the 74th minute after Forsyth turn Young and broke into the box only to be brought down by the big defender but this time the referee waved aside Vics’ appeals.

Forsyth then raced clear on a one on one with the keeper but this time Tiropoulous came out on top, blocking the strikers effort. Ewart then got on the end of a Callum Ogston cross at the back post but again the Neilston keeper made a fine save.

Tiropoulous then denied Ogston in a one on one before being beaten by Donovan but the strikers effort was ruled out for offside.

At the other end, Marty Fraser was saved an embarrassment of having his opposite number score against him when a huge wind assisted kick from Tiropoulous caught out the Vics keeper who was a relieved man to see the ball bounce wide of the goal.

Forsyth had the chance to kill off any chance of a Neilston comeback with two minutes of the ninety remaining but again in a one on one situation, Tiropoulous came out on top blocking the strikers effort with his legs.

With a staggering EIGHT minutes of time added on, Neilston pressed for the equaliser but couldn’t find a way past the visitors defence and it was Whitletts who claimed all three points in a crazy, crazy match.

1. Tiropoulous 2. Halliday (Payne 56) 3. Blakey 4. Payne 5. Young 6. McLaughlin 7. Fletcher (Frizzell HT) 8. McBryde 9. Patterson 10. Stewart 11. Smith
Subs (not used) 14. Lovering 15. Haddow 21. Wilson

Whitletts Victoria
1. Fraser 2. Colligan 3. Ewart 4. Millar 5. I.Kerr 6. Brown 7. Boyd 8. L.Kerr 9. Forsyth 10. George (Ogston 80) 11. Donovan (Condon 90)
Subs (not used) 14. McIntyre 15. A.Kerr 21. Dorigo

Referee: Chris McTeirnan