Skip to the content

Match Report : Whitletts Vics


Goals in each half from Jordan Mullen and Declan Milligan gave Vics three vital league points in their quest for promotion in this hard fought encounter against Muirkirk.

Nine weeks after taking over the hot seat Grierson finally got to see his side play at Dam Park and was satisfied with the outcome that kept his unbeaten run since intact since he joined the Club to keep the Clubs’ promotion ambitions very much alive.

Whitletts looked a bit ring rusty at the start following their five week lay off due to the weather and it was Muirkirk who started the brighter. The visitors had a claim for a penalty waved aside in the eighth minute when Jordan Conlan looked to have been tripped inside the box but referee Ross Clark wasn’t interested in their appeals. Two minutes later Yamikani Misanjo fired just wide from the edge of the box.

In the 18th minute Vics were awarded a free kick deep inside the Muirkirk half and while the match official was showing a yellow card to ‘Kirk’s Stephen Campbell, he didn’t see a blatant elbow to the face by visiting defender Jay Burns on Graeme Barbour that floored the Vics striker. However from the free kick the home side exacted the perfect response as Craig Fisher’s cross was side footed into the net by Jordan Mullen from six yards to give the home side the lead.

Whitletts began to grow into the game and Adam Forsyth got on the end of a perfectly flighted Declan Milligan cross but could only head straight at Kirk keeper Nathan Bogle.

Six minutes into the second half Vics should have had a penalty when goalscorer Mullen took the ball past a defender as Kirk failed to properly clear a corner, only to be brought down with just the keeper to beat. It looked a stonewall penalty but referee Clark not only waved aside appeals, he chose to book the Vics defender for diving!

Vics were in control of the proceedings and always looked the more likelier to add to their tally. Bogle denied Forsyth at full stretch with a shot from the edge of the box and from the resulting corner Isaac Kerr headed narrowly over after Raymond Buchanan had headed back across goal.

Forsyth was desperate to get his name on the scoresheet but it just wasn’t to be his day in front of goal. When Barbour did well to win possession in midfield, Josh Sloan released the Vics striker but as he tried to take the ball round the keeper, Bogle dived to claim the ball with an outstretch arm.

Forsyth was then put through on another one on one with the keeper but appeared to get caught in two minds and collided with Bogle who had raced outside his area but in the 69th minute Vics increased their lead with a sublime finish from Declan Milligan. As he ran onto a Jordan Boyd pass, Milligan took the ball past a defender and as Bogle raced from the goal line, from an angle the Vics’ player chipped the ball over the advancing keeper into the net despite a great effort from Kirk defender Maxime Neossi to clear the ball off the line.

It was Milligan’s first goal for the Club and capped a fine afternoon for the Vics midfielder.

From that moment on the destination of the points was never in doubt and although Buchanan went close to adding a third with a header that skimmed the crossbar, Vics ran out comfortable victors.

Vics now have a break from league football for the next two weeks as they travel to play Shots Bon Accord in the West of Scotland Cup next Saturday before hosting Auchinleck Talbot at Dam Park on the 7th April in the first round of the Ayrshire Cup

Whitletts Victoria
1. Fraser 2. Anderson 3. Boyd 4. Mullen 5. I. Kerr 6. Buchanan 7. Fisher 8. Milligan (McClymont 77) 9. Forsyth 10. Barbour 11. Sloan
Subs (not used) 12. L. Kerr 15. Dempsey 16. Ogston 21 L. Kerr (GK)

1. Bogle 2. Baxter 3. Peck 4. Burns (Murray 87) 6. Steedman 8. Conlon (Hunter 74) 9. Macdonald 10. Misanjo (Macaulay 79) 11. Campbell 14. Murray 18. Neossi
Subs (not used) 5. Roberts 21. Cunningham 99. Carslaw

Referee: Ross Clark