Skip to the content

Match Report : Whitletts Vics


Managerless Vics were hit for six after a woeful first half display in this crucial Ayrshire District League match against Winton at Dam Park.

Ardrossan probably couldn’t believe their good fortune as a series of basic errors and a lacklustre performance from Whitletts saw the visitors go in at the break 5-0 ahead and although matters improved in the second period it is clear that some players need to take a really good look at themselves regarding their desire and attitude.

It took Rovers only two minutes to take the lead. Jamie’s McKenna’s low cross found Stevie Tan whose shot was blocked by the foot of Marty Fraser in the Vics goal only for the ball to sit up perfectly for Thomas Donovan, the smallest player on the park, to head home.

Vics almost equalised in the ninth minute. From Craig Fisher’s free kick, Isaac Kerr headed off the post, Graeme Barbour’s follow up was blocked by keeper Bryan Tucker only for Jordan Boyd’s netbound effort to strike the back of a defender who flung himself to the ground to block the shot with the ball flying over the bar.

It was a great chance that went a begging and two minutes later they paid the penalty when a needless challenge on the byeline by Jordan Mullen on McKenna gave referee Chris Hughes the easy option to point to the spot. Although Fraser got a hand to Alan Muir’s free kick he couldn’t keep it out and Vics were two down.

It got worse in the 17th minute as Winton went three up with a bizarre own goal from Blair Anderson who with all the time in the world at the back post sliced a low Donovan cross into his own net.

On the half hour it was 4-0. An absolute quality goal from a Winton perspective after what must have been a move consisting of over a dozen passes before McKenna drove the ball spectacularly into the net from 25 yards. From a Whitletts view point thought it was too easy for Winton as the home side admired the Winton play instead of seeking to close down their opponents.

Four minutes later it was 5-0. Despite looking in an offside position, McKenna took full advantage of the acres of space he was left in as Vics failed to clear their lines to sweep the ball low into the net.

5-0 at the break and but for a couple of other good chances that went a begging, it could have been more!

Whitletts started the second half a lot better, taking the game to Winton and almost reduced the leeway when Boyd struck the post in the 52nd minute. But three minutes later Winton made it six. David Orr firing over Fraser from 25 yards into the top corner.

Vics finally got some joy in the 64th minute when Anderson played the ball through form Boyd and the ball sat up perfectly for the midfielder to lob the ball over Tucker into the net.

Both sides created half chances in the remainder of the match as it petered out to its’ inevitable conclusion.

A poor performance from the home side, possibly the worst for 20 plus years and a measure of the massive task that lies ahead for a new manager.

Whitletts Victoria
1. Fraser 2. Anderson 3. Ewart (McClymont 30) 4. Mullen 5. I. Kerr 6. Fisher 7. Harvey (Munyaradzi 50) 8. Sloan 9. Barbour 10. L. Kerr (Ogston 67) 11. Boyd
Subs (not used) 15. Buchanan 16. Milligan

Ardrossan Winton Rovers
1. Tucker 2. Davidson 3. T. Jamieson 4. McGregor 5. Slavin 6. Lennox 7. Donovan 8. Muir (A. Jamieson 63) 18. McKenna 10. Tan 11. Orr (McMahon 63)
Subs (not used) 12. Irvine 15. Cairnie

Referee: Chris Hughes