Skip to the content

Whitletts Vics : Match Report


Makeshift Whitletts Victoria put in a spirited display at Beechwood Park but were second best to a Talbot side that bossed the entire 90 minutes to book their place in the semi final of the League Cup.

With Dam Park unavailable, Vics had to switch this game to Beechwood Park. Never an easy place to go but when you only have eleven players fit enough to play the task becomes even greater but it was a challenge that Vics faced up to.

With manager George Grierson undergoing hip surgery, Scott Clelland joined the coaching staff on a temporary basis to help out and from the kick off Talbot showed that they meant business. With three minutes on the clock Craig McCracken forced a save from Marty Fraser. And it wasn’t long before Talbot made the breakthrough. After Jamie Glasgow went close with a shot in the turn, from the resulting corner, Gareth Armstrong found the net at the back post. Two minutes later it was 2-0. A long ball down the left picked out Glasgow and this time the striker made no mistake as he fired low past Fraser.

Two down inside fourteen minutes wasn’t the kind of start Vics had hoped for but they never threw in the towel and midway through the half almost snatched one back when from a Thomas Donovan corner kick, Neil McPherson headed just over his own crossbar.

Talbot always looked the more likely however and Glasgow had another attempt blocked by Fraser but in the final minute of the half it was the woodwork that came to Whitletts rescue. After Donovan had given the ball away in midfield, the little striker raced back to make amends and with Glasgow set to score from Sean McIlroy’s cross, it was Donovan who somehow managed to get in front of the Talbot striker and was even more relieved when his attempted clearance crashed back off his own crossbar.

It was a similar story in the second half with Talbot having most of the play. Gordon Pope fizzed a free kick wide through a crowded box before the home side went three up in the 65th minute when a near post flick by Glasgow from a Pope corner beat Fraser at his near post.

Talbot introduced Mark Shankland to the game and the former Ayr striker almost found the net but his shot from the edge of the box flew over after some good play by David Waite.

Vics had battled hard all night, none more so that striker Adam Forsyth and Graeme Barbour and it was fitting that it was from their link up play the Vics scored their consolation with just four minutes left. Barbour releasing Forsyth inside the box and the striker fired low past Andy Leishman.

Shankland almost had the final say but Fraser turned his shot round the post as Talbot progressed to a semi final showdown with Kilwinning Rangers. As for Vics, time to rest up those injuries and prepare for the visit of Larkhall Thistle to Dam Park this Saturday in the league.

Auchinleck Talbot
1. Leishman 2. Lyle 3. Pope 4. Harvey 5. McPherson 6. McCracken 7. Waite 8. Hyslop 9. McIlroy 10. Glasgow (Shankland 72) 11. Armstrong
Subs (not used) 12. G.Wilson 15. S.Wilson 16. McDowall 10. Hewitt

Whitletts Victoria
1. Fraser 2. Anderson 3. Ogston 4. Condon 5. McIntyre 6. Buchanan 7. Boyd 8. Millar 9. Forsyth 10. Barbour 11. Donovan
Subs (not used) 12. Mullen 14. Ewart

Referee: Graham Grainger