Skip to the content

Whitletts Vics : Match Report


Whitletts have one foot in the next round of the League Cup after a convincing win over Annbank at New Pebble Park.

The Young Bankies came into the game on the back of their shock win at Girvan on Saturday but got off to the worst possible start when former striker Adam Forsyth turned home a Jordan Boyd cross from six yards to give Vics the lead after just 40 seconds!!

It was a good return to his old hunting ground for the Whitletts striker as the visitors took a grip on game in the 19th minute when Forsyth grabbed his second of the night. After collecting a Sean Ewart throw in, the Vics hitman turned his marker before firing low past Bankies keeper Ian McIntyre into the far corner.

Whitletts were in control of the game and although Bankies battled well, they rarely threatened the visitors goal. The woodwork prevented it from being 3-0 in the 25th minute after a deflected Forsyth pass fell goalward but the angle was just too tight for Thomas Donovan and the ball came back off the post.

Vics were always looking the more likely to score and only some good defending by Ryan McCrone prevented Forsyth his hat trick when he cleared a Donovan cross from the danger zone and then a Paul Millar drive from 25 yards flew just wide as Vics looked to add to their tally.

Three minutes into the second half Annbank were dealt a severe blow when keeper Ian McIntyre left the field after getting down to save a Sean Ewart shot. The Bankies keeper had been injured just before the interval in a clash with Jordan Boyd and in making the save he aggrivated the injury further and was replaced by Danny Gray.

In the 55th minute Vics made it 3-0. From a corner kick, Bankies failed to clear their lines and Jordan Mullen drilled the ball high into the top corner of the net.

To their credit, Annbank never threw in the towel and continued to play football and Jack Taylor fired high just past the angle from distance after a neat back flick set up by Stephen McLelland.

But it was Whitletts who looked the more likely. Declan Milligan saw his effort blocked on the line at the back post from a corner. Then Forsyth was again denied his hat trick when Gray allowed the strikers shot to squirm under him but got enough on the ball to force it to slip inches wide.

Milligan was then sent clear but he could only shoot straight at the keeper and Ewart fired his follow up over the crossbar and with time running out, Louis Kerr headed a Ewart cross wide of the target.

Now only Girvan can realistically deny Vics a place in the last sixteen of the League Cup when the two go head to head at Dam Park on Wednesday night (8pm kick off).

Annbank United
1. McIntyre (Gray 48) 2. Sloan 3. McClymont 5. McCrone 7. Smith 8. Wilson 9. Todd 10. McLelland 11.Walker (Fitzsimmons HT) 14. Barrett (Cotton HT) 16. Taylor
Subs (not used) 4. Lawrie 17. Hainey

Whitletts Victoria
1. Fraser 2. Ogston 3. Ewart 4 Mullen 5. I. Kerr 6. Buchanan 7. Boyd (Milligan 70) 8. Millar (McIntyre 86) 9. Forsyth 10. L. Kerr 11. Donovan (Ballantyne 81)
Subs (not used) 15. Dempsey 17. McFall

Referee: Ian Hart