Skip to the content

Match Report : Whitletts Vics


Vics started what is a vital week in their bid for promotion to the new Championship next season with a comfortable win at Ardeer Stadium.

From the moment Adam Forsyth raced clear to slip the ball past Martin Johnston in the Ardeer goal in the third minute there appeared to be little doubt of the outcome. Vics had the better of the possession and territorial advantage although the home side did press forward it was only on the rare occasion that Martin Fraser in the visitors goal was troubled.

One such occasion came midway through the first half when Fraser saved a Greg Kean shot but in the main it was Whitletts who looked the more likely to add to their advantage and with just two minutes of the first half remaining they did just that in the simplest of fashions. Raymond Buchanan rising at the back post to head home a Declan Milligan corner.

Johnston prevented it from being 3-0 with a fine save from Forsyth with a defender clearing the danger before the Vics striker could capitalise. Then from a Graeme Barbour corner kick, Jordan Mullen’s header crashed back off the face of the crossbar in what was the last action of the first half.

Vics started the second period in similar fashion and Milligan’s netbound effort from the edge of the box was headed wide but nine minutes of the second half on the clock Vics went three up with a ‘Harry Kane’ goal. Whether Barbour’s free kick from 40 yards that was floated into the area went straight into the net or the unmarked Mullen got his head to it will remain open to question. Mullen certainly claimed he got a touch and the referee has awarded him the goal in his report but certainly the home keeper made a hash of it as he allowed the ball to slip under his body.

Any hopes Ardeer had of producing a fightback were severely dented when midfielder Scott Reid picked up two yellow cards in quick succession and was sent for an early bath but to their credit the home side never gave up and Kean had the chance to reduce the leeway but fired wide when the ball broke to him just inside the box.

In the 65th minute, Whitletts made it 4-0 with a well worked goal. Louis Kerr broke from midfield, playing a one-two with Milligan before calmly slotting the ball past Johnston into the net.

Five minutes later Ardeer got some reward for their efforts when Derek Kennedy, who had posed a threat all afternoon, got his name on the scoresheet after a defensive mix up between Buchanan and Mullen.

Kennedy went close again with a free kick from the corner of the penalty area that Fraser did well to tip over the crossbar while at the other end young Ross George came close to getting his name on the scoresheet after a poor attempted clearance from Michael Holden broke to him but his chip over the advancing keeper slipped just wide.

Ryan Morrow had a couple of efforts in the dying moments saved by Fraser as the home side tried to make the scoreline a bit more respectable but Vics comfortably held on to secure three vital points.

A good win for Vics against tricky opposition but a platform from which they can progress with vital away league matches against promotion challengers Craigmark (Wednesday) and Lugar (Saturday) coming up in the next week.

Ardeer Thistle 1. Johnston 2. McKay 3. Easdon (Gillies 58) 4. Donnelly 5. Holden 7. Morrow 8. Reid 9. Kennedy 10. Bruce (Scotchfield 72) 11. Kean (Sewell 67) 18. Maxwell
Subs (not used) 12. Robertson 16. Nyame

Whitletts Victoria 1. Fraser 2. Anderson 3. Brown 4. I. Kerr 5. Mullen 6. Buchanan 7. L. Kerr (Fisher 65) 8. Sloan 9. Forsyth 10. Barbour (George 69) 11. Milligan (Howe 69)
Subs (not used) 15. Ogston 17. L.T. Kerr

Referee: Gary Hanvidge