Skip to the content

Match Report : Whitletts Vics


Injury ravaged Vics gave it their best shot against East Superleague cracks Jeanfield Swifts but couldn’t overcome the Perth side who progressed to the third round of the Scottish Junior Cup.

Manager Neil Duffy was forced to list himself as a substitute as Vics started without a recognised striker due to injuries to Craig Harvey and Darren Baird while new striker Graeme Barbour is cup tied.

In an open start to the match it was Vics who had the first chance of the match when Jordan Boyd broke clear but Swift keeper Matthew Curtis clawed the ball to safety. The Perth outfit’s first real opportunity came in the 10th minute. A cross from Anthony Holt into the six yard box picked out Rhys Davies but the striker volleyed wide of the target.

The visitors were doing most of the pressing and in the 13th minute they took the lead. A neat cross from the right was laid into the path of Daniel Kelly who’s volley bounced over the line.

Substitute Robbie Holden had a great chance to double his sides advantage when put through on a one on one but Steveie Douglas dived bravely at the striker feet to save. And it proved vital as in the 19th minute Vics were back on level terms. From a Sean Ewart cross from the left, keeper Curtis could only palm the ball into the path of Josh Sloan who drilled the ball high into the net.

Whitletts were having the better of the exchanges as both sides tried to master the strong winds but chances were few and far between as the sides went in level at the break.

Eight minutes into the second half the East Superleague side were back in front. A simple ball into the centre of defence found Keith Dewar unmarked and he placed the ball in at the post past Douglas.

Louis Kerr had a great chance to equalise for Vics when he was left unmarked in the box only to be denied by the outstretched leg of Curtis. Kerr again had an opportunity but just failed to connect in front of goal with a whipped cross from Anderson as Vics searched for the equaliser.

As the game moved towards the 90th minute Jordan Mullen almost snatched an equaliser as he headed a Louis Kerr corner just wide of the angle but they couldn’t quite muster the equaliser to force a replay.

Whitletts Victoria 1. Douglas 2. Lawrie Y90 3. Ewart 4. Mullen 5. Buchanan 6. Sloan Y 907. Anderson 8. I. Kerr 9. Boyd Y 28 (Milligan 78) 10. L. Kerr 11. Munyaradzi (Ogston 78 Y89)
Substitutes (not used) 15. Duffy

Jeanfield Swifts 1. Curtis 4. Reid 5. Deans 8. Holt 10. Kelly 11. Fergus (Holden 15) 15. Gunnion 16. Mollinson 18.Davies Y 67 (Mills 69) 19. Yates (McDermid 59) 21. Dewar Y60
Substitutes (not used) 14. Anton 17. Mills

Referee: Paul Timmons