Skip to the content

Match Report : Whitletts Vics

Whitletts kept their promotion ambitions alive with what in the end was a comfortable enough victory over an enthusiastic young Lugar side who threatened at one stage as if they were going to cause an upset.
Vics were given the ideal opportunity to take an early lead when they were awarded a first minute penalty kick after Chris Black was tripped in the box but skipper Paul Cameron blazed his spot kick over the bar.
The home side were doing the majority of the possession and the attacking play at this stage but it was Lugar who almost made the breakthrough in the 16th minute when both Ross Campbell and Danny Cunningham failed to cut out a ball down the wing and Dylan McFarlane broke clear into the box but his angled drive slipped narrowly wide of Aron Dorigo’s left post.
Vics response was a close range diving header which Ronnie Davis did well to save from point blank range and in the 21st minute the home side took the lead. On a counter attack from a Lugar corner, Black played the ball through the middle which the visitors defence failed to cut out and Louis Kerr calmly took the ball round Davis and rolled the ball into the net.
Lugar came close to grabbing an equaliser when a Lewis Gardner header drifted inches wide and it was a warning Vics failed to heed a the Jaggy Bunnets grabbed an equaliser in the 27th minute. McFarlane was released clear in the box and he slipped the ball past the advancing Dorigo into the net.
From then on until the interval it was Lugar who had the better of the play but neither side could seriously threaten either goalkeeper.
That changed in the opening moments of the second half when the home side regained the lead with a stunning volley from Sean Ewart. A Crossfield pass from Anderson picked out the Vics midfield just inside the box and despite the best efforts of Davis in the Lugar goal, Ewart’s volley rippled the back of the net.
Lugar had a great chance to equalise instantly when some poor defensive play saw McFarlane take the ball round Dorigo but Josh Sloan got back to block his netbound shot on the line. Then from a free kick, the ball broke kindly to Stuart Anderson who somehow from six yards managed to blast his shot wide with the goal at his mercy.
Ewart then had the chance to score a second when he latches onto a superb through ball from Kerr but he leant back as the struck the ball from the edge of the box and skied his effort over the bar. But in the 61st minute Vics did get their third. From a free kick out on the left Sloan was on hand to sweep the ball past Davis from six yards.
A fourth for the home side almost came about when an Anderson clearance slid narrowly past his own post and from the resulting corner Sloan headed inches over.
Vics had the better of the play for the remainder of the match with Whitletts failing to connect with a few cross balls into the box while Lugar’s Gardner mishit a cross in front of goal but in the end Vics held on comfortably to claim the points

Whitletts Victoria
1. Dorigo 2. Anderson 3. Campbell 4. Sloan 5. Cunningham 6. L. Kerr 7. Boyle (Boyd 64) 8. Black 9. Cameron (Kennedy 73) 10. Baird (Balfour 60) 11. Ewart Subs (not used) 16. Ross

Lugar Boswell Thistle
1. Davis 2. Boyd 3. Lowe 4. Anderson 5. Crolley 6. G. Malone 7. Struthers (McCarrison 84) 8. Milligan 9. McFarlane 10. Gardner 11. J.Malone Subs (not used) 14. Birrell 15. McCarrison 16. Baird 17. Hart

Referee: Colin McAlpine