Skip to the content

Match Report : Whitletts Vics


Whitletts Victoria recorded their eleventh straight win over Muirkirk as they signed off 2016 with the three points to ensure will start the new year in second place in the Ayrshire District League.

You have to go back to 2007 for the last time the Dam Park side failed to beat ‘Kirk in a competitive fixture yet despite an early setback and a below par performance from the home side, the outcome was rarely in doubt.

Muirkirk surprised their hosts with a stunning goal inside the opening couple of minutes. From fully 40 yards out, Ryan Beveridge whipped in a speculative cross into the box that sailed over the heads of everyone, including Vics’ keeper Ally McInnes and landed in the top corner of the net.

Vics pressed forward in search of the equaliser and it came in the 11th minute when Tony Balfour picked the ball up out on the right and cut inside a defender before unleashing a shot high past Robbi Wilson in the Muirkirk goal.

Whitletts looked the more threatening going forward. Balfour went close with a free kick from outside the box that flew just over the angle while a low Craig Harvey cross across the six yard box found no takers. However midway through the half, Vics took the lead. Paul Cameron broke down the right and fizzed a cross across the face of goal that in attempting to clear, ‘Kirk defender Chris Wilson headed into his own goal at the back post

Vics third goal came in the 40th minute. Sean Ewart broke down the left and whipped in a low cross that Balfour nicked past the keeper before rolling the ball into the empty net.

Early in the second half Balfour had a chance for his hat trick but was denied by a block from a defender and Harvey fired the rebound over the bar.

The home side were doing most of the pressing but Muirkirk came close to reducing the leeway in the 56th minute after Anderson was caught out down the right and the cross into the box picked out David McSorely who at full stretch fired inches wide. It was a warning the home side failed to heed and three minutes later some fine play by Jordan Burt created the opening from which McInnes parried out only for Ross Ballantyne to drill the ball home from 12 yards.

Direct from the kick off Paul Cameron tried an audacious attempt to beat Wilson from the halfway line but the young keeper recovered to tip over the crossbar.

Whitletts needed to up the ante and Neil Duffy introduced Sam McFall and Ali Boyle to the proceedings and almost immediately a neat move set up Blair Anderson but Robbi Wilson saved his shot at the near post.

Although Vics continued to do the majority of the attacking there was anxiety creeping into their play as they struggled to find a way through the Muirkirk rearguard with the visitors beginning to show more confidence on the counter attack but with twelve minutes remaining the Ayr side secured the points with a four goal. A move down the right resulting in Chris Black’s low cross being turned into the empty net by Harvey from six yards.

George Grierson’s young side thought refused to give up and as they recorded a series of corner kicks and from one of those corners McInnes denied Beveridge, turning his curling effort over the bar at full stretch.

Vics almost added a fifth when McFall prodded the ball past Wilson only for his shot to be cleared off the line with Harvey’s follow up header also being blocked on the line. In the final minute Wilson partially blocked another Harvey effort but as the ball appeared to be rolling into the net the young keeper got back to claw the ball off the goaline.

Whitletts Victoria
1. McInnes 2. Anderson 3. Ewart 4. Boyd (Boyle 62) 5. Cunningham 6. Sloan 7. Harvey 8. Black 9. Cameron 10. Kennedy (McFall 62) 11. Balfour (Mathieson 85) Subs (not used) McFall 16. L. Kerr 21 Dorigo (GK)

1. R. Wilson 2. C. Wilson 3. Millar 4. Barrie (Campbell HT) 5. Peck 6. Williamson 7. Murtagh (Burt 54) 8. Hamill 9. Ballantyne 10. McSorely (Kiltie 80) 11. Beveridge Subs (not used) 16. McIntyre 17. Scott (GK)

Referee: David Burns