Skip to the content

Whitletts Vics : Match Report

Girvan pressed home their title credentials with a convincing victory to bring to an end Whitletts Victoria’s 14 month unbeaten run at Dam Park.

Vics went into the game missing almost their entire back line and the visitors took full advantage with some clinical finishing to open up a four point lead over their hosts.

The opening exchanges were scrappy with the visitors having the better of the possession. Former Vics player Davie Cunningham fired into the side netting while on the counter attack another former Vics favourite Rab Paterson left Graham Longair in his wake but his angled drive flashed wide of Ally McInnes’ right post.

Girvan were having the better of the play at this stage and Paul Cameron’s 25 yards free kick left the Vics’ keeper rooted to the spot and he was relieved to see the ball crash back off the post.

It took the home side until the 18th minute to register a shot in anger with a Michael O’Conner shot that found the side netting. The game was needing a goal and it came in the 24th minute for the home side.

A ball over the top allowed Tony Balfour to run in behind the Girvan defence and round Douglas before rolling the ball into the net.

Within two minutes Girvan were level. Davie Cunningham worked his way to the byeline and from his cutback the unfortunate Raymond Buchanan put the ball into his own net.

Sixty second later Girvan had a great chance to take the lead. A Longair challenge on Tony Murphy saw the Seasiders midfielder go down inside the box and referee Calum Scott pointed to the penalty spot. Cameron stepped forward but McInnes was equal to his effort diving full stretch to his left to keep the ball out.

However the keeper’s afternoon was soon to turn sour in the 41st minute when he was sent off in controversial circumstances. After clearing the ball outside his box which he picked up and injury, the Vics No1 hobbled back to his goals and made a comment to the referee who promptly showed McInnes a red card. Elliot Masterson took over the keepers jersey and seconds later from his kick out Balfour raced clear but this time could only fire straight at Douglas.

Girvan started the second period looking to take advantage of their extra man and only two minutes after the restart a deep cross into the box picked out Paterson at the back post. His shot struck the post and fell kindly for Davie Cunningham whose shot was blocked by Kerr and scrambled clear.

It was always going to be a backs to the wall job for Whitletts and in the 52nd minute they assisted in their own downfall as Girvan took the lead. Longair’s sclaffed clearance across the area fell straight to Paterson who curled his shot into the corner of the net.

From a free kick a low drive from Scott Dinwoodie from fully 35 yards was turned round the post by Masterson as the visitors looked to build on their advantage.

A Cameron free kick was headed back across goal and Craig Reid headed just over but the ten men of Whitletts continued to strive to get back into the game and created a couple of half chances with Balfour being denied by Douglas while a netbound Buchanan header struck Stephen Cargill who knew little about it but with 11 minutes remaining Girvan sealed the points with a third goal.

Masterson did well to push out an angled drive but Josh Sloan, who had only just come onto the park, was left with the easiest of tasks to roll the ball into the empty net. Five minutes later the visitors made it 4-1 as Paterson glanced a cross into the net.

Cameron almost made it five at the death but his shot from close range was blocked by Steven Kerr as the Seasiders deservedly took the three vital league points back to Girvan.

Whitletts Victoria
1. McInnes 2. Sloan 3. Longair 4. S.Kerr 5. Buchanan 6. McCarrison 7. Black 8. Graham (Masterson 41) 9.McFall (L.Kerr 84)10. Balfour 11. O’Connor
Subs (not used) 12. Hercus 15. Collins 16. Ferris GK Masterson
1. Douglas 2. Maxwell 3. Marshall 4. Cargill 5. Danny Cunningham 6. Dinwoodie (Gallagher 86) 7. Murphy 8. Cameron 9. David Cunningham (Nairn 84) 10. Paterson 11. Reid (Sloan 77)
Subs (not used) 14. Nairn 15. Gallagher 16. Wilde

Referee: Calum Scott