Skip to the content

Whitletts Vics News

Manager Rikki Ryland has added to his squad by signing midfielder Tommy Sloan and young goalkeeper Elliot Masterson.

28 year old 'Tucker' has spent the last couple of years playing amateur football but has a wealth of experience in the junior game during his time with Annbank and Kilwinning Rangers.
Meanwhile Elliot has impressed in pre-season and has shown his potential to develop into a top keeper at this level after playing under 19 youth football last season with Glenburn



Two late goals gave Premier Division Troon a hard fought win in this Ardagh Cup clash at Portland Park.

With 13 minutes remaining and the scores tied at 1-1, the home side were awarded a controversial penalty kick by referee David Burns after Raymond Buchanan appeared to win the ball in a challenge on Craig Harvey and the former Girvan hitman dusted himself down to fire the spot kick past Ally McInnes.

Five minutes later there was a further blow for the visitors when Eddie Graham attempted to block a Colin Spence shot only for the ball to spin over the head of McInnes to complete the scoring.

 It was a cruel end to a thoroughly entertaining match and the visitors were clearly disappointed to make the short journey back to Ayr with nothing to show for their efforts.

 Troon had by far the better of the play in the first period and created a number of chances without hitting the target. Adam Forsyth headed over from a corner kick while Sean McKenna went close with a volley from 15yards.

At this time Vics were restricted to counter attacks and in one such move Tony Balfour saw his drive saved  by Ally Semple. But it was the home side who were the more threatening and Forsyth should have done better when he slid in at the back post to meet a Jordan Muir cross but his effort slipped past.
 Vics were forced to reshuffle their already limited side midway through the first half when Calum Hercus went off injured to be replaced by  Sam McFall but still t was Troon who were doing the pressing with Ally McInnes showing his worth with a superb save to deny Muir when clean in on goal.

McKenna fired his shot wide although he looked to be impeded beforehand by Buchanan before another header off target by Forsyth saw the side go in level at the break.

But it took Troon only five minutes after the restart to make the breakthrough. Muir the provider and this time Forsyth made no mistake from six yards.

Dean Keenan then went close with a back post header from a corner but Vics began to grow in confidence and Balfour’s drive tested Semple. At the other end McInnes denied McKenna but in the 63rd minute Vics’ stunned the home support with a well worked equaliser.

 Graham won the ball in midfield and his pass split the Troon central defence for Balfour to race on and round the advancing Semple before rolling the ball into the net. Vics were now on the ascendancy and when a Keenan pass struck Gavin Collins and fell kindly for Balfour, the Vics striker raced clear and although his shot left Semple stranded it slipped inches wide of the target.

 At this stage it looked if anyone was going to score it would be the visitors and when from a Balfour free kick Michael O’Connor kept the ball in play to set up his strike partner, Semple was forced to turn the shot behind.

But moments later Vics hearts were broken with the award of that penalty kick as the Portland Parkers went on to seal the points that leave them top of the section tonight.

1. Semple 2. Ure 3. Armstrong 4. Keenan 5. Collins 6. Chatham (McCrae 83) 7. Muir 8. Spence 9. McKenna (Shirkie 63)  10. Forsyth (Reilly 76) 11. Harvey
Subs (not used) 12. McGowan 14. Wyllie
Whitletts Victoria
1. McInnes 2. Mathieson 3. Ewart 4. Hercus (McFall 22) 5. Buchanan 6. Mullen 7. Longair 8. Graham 9. Sloan 10. Balfour 11. O’Connor
Subs (not used) 14. Ferris 21. Mathieson
Referee: David Burns