Skip to the content

Whitletts News

Sponsored by Caledonian Windows

The Jackpot on this weeks' Lotto 4 Vics, sponsored by Caledonian Windows, has risen to £3,500 after no-one had a ticket with all 4 numbers picked out by Girvan Chairman Tom McCreadie.

Mr McCreadie picked out 6, 12, 22 & 24

There were 6 consolation prize winners who had 3 numbers and will receive a cheque for £25. They are:-

James Cooke (Burns Tavern); Norrie Black; Brian Darroch, Lauren Graham (Blades); D. Stitt (McCabes) and Bill Sharp


Whitletts Victoria boss Rikki Ryland has moved to strengthen his squad ahead of the big league kick off next Saturday by signing teenage midfielder Blair Anderson.

Blair, who put pen to paper after taking in today's 5-3 win over title favourites Girvan had been on the radar of a number of clubs this season and played two matches pre-season for Vics as well as starting our Ardagh Cup match at his former club Annbank where he picked up an ankle knock that has kept him out of the game since but could make his debut in Saturday's opening league clash at Ardeer


The winner of the McCabes Half Time draw at Saturday's Whitletts Victoria v Girvan match was Mr Ian Belfin from Ayr who won a £25 meal voucher for McCabes.

Whitletts ended their Ardagh Cup campaign on a high after a thrilling victory  over South Ayrshire rivals Girvan at Dam Park
Vics went into this game without a number of key players and a totally makeshift defence with David Mathieson, who travel up from Hull to play in the game, the only recognised first team defender on the park, with former keeper Martyn Barclay answering an SOS to play in goal.

The match was delayed for 15 minutes to address issues with the Dam Park pitch but despite the adverse circumstances, it was the home side who started strongly and after only three minutes they took the lead. Youngster Nick Neilson won possession deep inside his own half and released Tony Balfour who raced clear to slip the ball under the advancing Stevie Douglas into the net.

A Tommy Sloan shot from the edge of the box took a deflection that slipped inches wide and from the resulting corner kick, Graham Longair header was blocked by Douglas and scrambled to safety as the home side looked to press home their advantage.

With just 15 minutes on the clock, Whitletts doubled their lead when Chris Black, making his competitive home debut, stooped to head home a corner from just inside the box.

It wasn’t all one way traffic and Chris Allan tested Barclay with a free kick. Then on the half hour mark David Cunningham showed a nice touch at the edge of the six yard box only to be denied by a late challenge from Mathieson.

Within a minute it got even better for the Ayr side. As Balfour raced clear into the box the ball was handled by Jo Maxwell and Balfour dispatched the penalty with aplomb.

Right on half time Girvan got themselves back into the game. From a corner kick, Barclay failed to hold the ball amongst a ruck of players and it fell kindly for Stephen Cargill to fire home from close range.

Any thoughts of a comeback for the Seasiders looked to be over just three minutes into the second period when Eddie Graham won the ball in the middle of the park and Michael O’Conner released Balfour for the striker to race clear and fire across Douglas to complete his hat trick.

Cunningham had a good chances to reduce the leeway but fired wide of the target but the former Whitletts man did get his name on the scoresheet in the 55th minute when he tapped home from close range. Two minutes later Vics lead was reduced to a single goal when Barclay’s attempted punched clearance fell kindly for Allan who fired home from the edge of the box.

Within a minute Girvan should have been level. Connor Boyd raced into the box but could only fire straight a Barclay. Callum Nairn then fired over from distance and then Boyd looked like getting his name on the scoresheet as he rounded Barclay but the keeper did well to block his effort with his feet.
Sloan fired over for Vics but it was still Girvan in the ascendancy and Allan went close with an angled drive. As the visitors pressed for the equaliser there were gaps appearing at the back and Balfour was denied by the outstretched leg of Douglas.

With 74 minutes on the clock the Dam Park side looked to have secured the points with the goal of the match from Eddie Graham. Sam McFall picked up the ball midway inside the Girvan half and his dink over the visitors defence saw Graham raced into the box to knock the ball past the advancing Douglas.

That completed the scoring although both sides went in search for more although Vics comfortably held on to take the points
Whitletts Victoria
1. Barclay 2. Mathieson (Watson 80) 3. Neilson 4. Longair 5. Kerr 6. Graham 7. Black 8. McFall (McCarrison 88) 9. Sloan 10. O’Conner 11. Balfour (Johnston 74)
Subs (not used) 12. McCarrison 15. Watson 16. Ferris 21. McMillan
1. Douglas 2. Mossie 3. D. Boyd 4, Cargill 5. Maxwell 6. Dinwoodie 7, C. Boyd 8. Cameron 9. Allan 10. David Cunningham 11. Nairn (Gallagher 80)
Subs (not used) 12. Daniel Cunningham 14.  Gallagher 15. Marshall 16. Patterson 17. Wilson
Referee: Drew Kirkland